Home Link Free Stuff Link Blog Link Buy Music Link Music Videos Link Photos Link Band Bio Link Contact Link

Monday, February 14, 2011

National Marriage Boycott

Hey there, Sarah here.

I wanted to write a short post about an org I'm really passionate about called the National Marriage Boycott (NMB). The reason I love this group so much is because without it and the activism it has allowed me to do, I would have never felt empowered enough to sing about girls in front of complete strangers.

I Like Girls

NMB is actually the only youth-led national LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) rights group (pretty cool, eh?). The boycott is a coalition of allies and LGBT people waiting to get married until there is full federal marriage equality. Boycotters wear an Equality Ring as a symbol of their pledge, to start conversations, and to help build a community in which queer youth feel supported.

National Marriage Boycott Equality Ring

The first time I saw the Equality Ring was when I walked into a computer science section my sophomore year. No joke -- I immediately felt infinitely more comfortable knowing there was someone in the room who didn't hate me or think I was perverted just because of who I loved. I soon after decided to join the group and take as active a role as they'd let me :)

If you'd like to read more about the National Marriage Boycott or like the Equality Ring enough to wear one too, check out their site!

Yay love!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment