Home Link Free Stuff Link Blog Link Buy Music Link Music Videos Link Photos Link Band Bio Link Contact Link

Friday, February 18, 2011

A Rediscovering of Funk

What's up Jupsters,

Every musician remembers the first songs they thought would be the absolute coolest to play when they first picked up their instrument. Even to this day, millions of teenage boys hilariously attempt to learn the guitar just so they can play "Wonderwall."

I remember when I first started learning bass which bass lines sounded so cool and unique and distinctive and all that before I learned what scale degrees were, but I thought, at the jaded age of 22, I was past geeking out about simplistic bass lines.

Cue me taking my favorite class of all time: The Soul Tradition in African-American Music. It's a class on soul music. Listening to Motown, Stax, Sly and the Family Stone, and P-Funk is part of my homework. I always considered myself somewhat well-read/listened when it comes to matters of funk and soul, but for some reason I had missed this gem of a classic. Way back from 1973, it's "For the Love of Money" by the O'Jays.


When I first heard this bass line, both with and without the flange, my inner 12 year old raged again. It's just so damn funky, but what was awesome was that I was also able to figure out what it was within 5 minutes since my ears were still 22.

I may try to work it in the next time there's an opening in a song, but mostly I was just happy that such a simple bass line could still have this much effect on me without the aid of any mind-altering substances. It really reassured my belief in the power of music.

Keep on rockin' in the free world,

--Peter

1 comment:

  1. haha i remember this song from when i took the class. i actually gave my presentation on it...

    ReplyDelete